19 Dec 068 – Give to Get: Breaking Down Real Human Emotion | Dale Dupree
Dale Dupree, (@CopierWarrior), General Manager of Zeno Office Solutions, a Xerox company, says toner ink runs in his blood. Dale grew up in what he claims to be the “boring copier business,” so he took on the challenge to flip that notion on its head. His father brought him into the business at an early age, forever impacting his life’s purpose.
Through his creative marketing tactics and customer-centric approach, Dale is creating a new storyline for the copier industry. He believes when it comes to sales the raw human emotion of friendship is often overlooked. If given the chance to get to know you, people will more likely take the time to actually talk.
Dale loves the phone but he doesn’t hide behind it. For him, calling helps to drive the relationship further. It’s about being sincere, authentic, and having real intention behind helping others achieve their goals.
- Break the Mold: What do you believe is expected in your specific industry? What are all the other reps doing to call on similar prospects? If you want to stand out and be seen, you’ve got to do something different. Could you actually walk in your prospect’s office? Could you mail them something that gets their attention? Could you write an article about a topic they’re interested in and use them for a quote or reference? Quit following all the “best practices” and use some creativity to open doors.
- Why Ask Why: I listen to sales calls from my clients every day. In nearly 99% of the recordings, I hear prospects ask questions or give objections and the sale rep immediately answers or gives a rebuttal. But do they know why the prospect is even asking or saying whatever it is they said? Do you? Wouldn’t it be nice to have more context? By simply asking “why” most times a prospect will back up and elaborate on their statement giving you both the opportunity to thank as well as gain clarity.
- Build a Power Circle: Look, cold calling is hard. I get it. Wouldn’t it be nice if all we had to deal with was inbound leads and referrals? Well, the good news is, you don’t need to rely on your marketing team. Whatever industry you’re in, figure out the top 4-5 non-competitive companies or types of companies that also sell to your same customer profile. Reach out to reps from those companies and figure out how to help each other. You’ll be amazed at the reciprocity.
- Fanatical Prospecting by Jeb Blount
- What if every sales rep inherited the habits of your best rep? With Costello, they do.
- The pipeline-centric system is strategically built on a proven selling methodology that keeps teams focused on the only thing they can control in sales – actions that push deals to close.